Saturday, August 21, 2010

Jam Out With Your Clam Out: Clams w/ Bacon and Beer

I've been known to jam out with my clam out on more than a few occasions. Let's be honest, I did go to college...it's a cultural thing! My stories as a Penn Stater read like the who's who of collegiate men residing in Central Pennsylvania between 2003-2007. That's a lot of late-night study sessions. So Mom and Dad, if you're reading this- don't say I didn't learn anything!

But I'll stop there. After all, I am a woman of integrity, damn it! And if I go any further, my parents will make me change my name and ask that I never contact them again. Wait a sec...a blessing and a curse.

On second thought, I'm going to need my #2 pencil and a calculator for this one:


Did I set that up correctly, or did I forget to put it all over 2a? I was never good at polynomials.

Regardless, I'm going to hold off on the clam chronicles for now, at least until December 25th (the proof is in the algebra). Instead, let's switch gears and focus on the fact that all week I've been coming up with brilliant ways to sneak alcohol into my favorite foods. I present to you my latest creation: Clams w/ Bacon and Beer!

Clams w/ Bacon and Beer
Ingredients:
2 lbs clams (I used Steamers)
6 slices bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
16 oz. (1 bottle) beer
salt and pepper to taste
chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Directions: (serves 4)
1. In a large saucepan, fry bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside, leaving bacon grease in pan.

2. Reduce heat to low. Add onions, garlic, salt (about 1tb), and pepper to the saucepan and cook in the bacon grease for about 5 minutes.

3. Add beer to the pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Scrape off all of the delicious caramelized bits from the bottom of the pan that got stuck there during cooking. This is called "deglazing a pan". And it's awesome.

4. Rinse clams under cold water. Add them to the saucepan, reduce heat to medium, cover with a lid, and cook 6-10 minutes (or until the clams open up).

5. Taste the broth, season if necessary. Serve the clams in a large bowl with the broth. Garnish with the bacon and fresh parsley.

*How To Eat Steamers: Open the clam, peel off and discard the black neck covering, and remove meat from the shell. Holding the clam by the neck, dip it in the broth and shove the whole thing into your mouth. So good.


3 comments:

  1. Kind of surprised you didn't include a delicious flavored butter to dip the clams in. Also-is that little black bit the penis? That's what I always thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jammin out with my clam out right now...ummm sounds awesome, gonna have to try it when I get home. I'm thinking there's no butter to give it a different taste instead of the standard clams and butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali- You know I'm a sucker for flavored butters...but I couldn't figure out one that would match well with the beer. What did you have in mind? P.S.- Get your mind out of the gutter. This is a family establishment.

    Jeff- My goodness, the title wasn't meant to be taken literally. Put your clam back in before you get arrested. But if you do decide to cook the them, make sure you send a pic to me!!

    ReplyDelete