Saturday, August 14, 2010

Cheers to Sobriety! (Pears in Red Wine Sauce)

My boyfriend told me that I should drink less. I told him that he should drink more. He asked me if I could go a week without alcohol. I asked him, "Does wine count?"

I love my boyfriend and I love the Jesus juice. Thus, I am presented with a classic case of internal conflict: being a lush vs. being in lust. Let's evaluate. On one hand, I have something that always puts a smile on my face, is generally sweet, has a nice body, ages gracefully, and keeps me begging for more. On the other hand, I have my boyfriend.

(cricket...cricket...cricket...)

We settle on a compromise. I agree to embark on a week-long sabbatical from the hard stuff to appease the boy-toy, as long as I can still cook with it in order to appease my inner boozehound. Here goes nothing. First up: Pears in Red Wine Sauce.

Pears in Red Wine Sauce

Ingredients:
4 pears, peeled
2 cps red wine (I used Franciscan Cabernet Sauvignon 2k6)
1 cp sugar
2 tb lemon juice
2 ts vanilla extract
1 ts cinnamon
pinch of salt

Directions: (serves 4)
1. Bring all ingredients, besides pears, to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer pears for 10 minutes. Flip pears and let simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove pears from saucepan and let cool.

2. Boil wine sauce until it is reduced by half. Once reduced, gently put pears back into the sauce, coating them so they are poised for a stunning presentation. Spoon sauce onto the center of a plate, stand pear up in the middle, and garnish with some cinnamon sticks and lemon rind if you have them. Awesome blossom.

2 comments:

  1. Recipe for Beer Nuts

    4 bags of roasted peanuts, (no honey roasted, clashes with the beer)
    2 cans of Coors Light (after the mountains have turned blue)
    1 cp of salt
    2 tsp. of vanilla

    Directions: (serves 4 during summer, 2 during football season)
    1. Bring all ingredients, besides peanuts, to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer peanuts for 10 minutes. Add peanuts and let simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove peanuts from saucepan and let cool.

    A delightful snack for when your significant other wants you to stop drinking for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at "after the mountains have turned blue".

    I'm definitely trying this in the next few weeks!....is that supposed to be 1 cp salt or sugar though???

    ReplyDelete